Friday, March 29, 2013

courage to follow your own course of action ...

"Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it requires courage." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think that really describes pig-headed stubbornness. Or maybe it’s just a little too simplistic. One should frequently adjust their course of action. I’m certainly not perfect, and as I learn more I can apply that knowledge to improve my course of action.

I may still be quite pig-headed, but hopefully I’m doing a better job of learning from what others. It’s quite a delicate process to know when to “stick to your guns,” so to speak, and how to find the truth in what others have to say (especially when it contradicts strongly held beliefs).

I’m certain that as a person gains more knowledge and intelligence through diligence, obedience, and hard work he gains an advantage. Accomplishments are achieved by adherence to principles of truth – whether you understand them or not. The better I can learn to understand the truths that have lead me to success (or failure) the better I can make informed decisions in the future.

And I’m convinced that in order to accomplish this goal I need friends. If I rely only on myself, it’s like looking at the universe through a soda-straw – it’s impossible to see the complete picture. It’s through talking with others and trying to understand their point of view that helps me to better understand how I can improve.

I really like these words on how to find and understand truth http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=2097

No comments:

Post a Comment