Monday, March 25, 2013

Decisions on voice: is 3rd person too distant?

In starting Discipulus Secretus, I had to make some structural decisions. One of those decisions was to write in 3rd person. Before starting to write I did some research, and found American publishers in strong opposition. It looked like their primary concern was that it was too easy for the novice to get lazy and say something impersonal and detached, like "she was angry," instead of something more engaging, like "she stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind her."

Being a bit of a rebel, and figuring that I am more likely to learn by trying, I decided to take this as dare (American publishers saying, "I dare you to write in 3rd person," and me in return, "I accept your challenge").

It seemed a safe enough challenge since so many of the great literary works are written in 3rd person and because it offers so much more flexibility and power. It also seemed a good fit with this conspiracy novel. I personally like how in the first/prologue chapter we can get a more personal view of Sarah's mother and John, her mentor, by seeing into both of their heads and knowing how they feel about each other.

But I still have so much to learn. Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. So Jim Butcher, author of The Dresden Files (books which so far I really like), commented on 3rd person omniscient http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/1262.html saying:
    *******************************************************

    First Person--Written from the interior perspective of one character. "I went to the store and bought cookies. I ate them." The Dresden Files are first person POV.

    Second Person--Written as if being described to the reader as their own actions. "You went to the store and bought cookies. You ate them."

    Third Person--Written from an exterior perspective to one or more characters. "He went to the store and bought cookies. He choked on them and died."

    Omniscient Viewpoint--Told from the perspective of an outside, all-knowing observer. "He went to the store, never knowing that the cookies were the instrument of the Grim Reaper. If only he'd purchased milk to go with them, he might have made it. But he didn't, and so sealed his fate with sweet, corrupt chocolately goodness."

    Let me give you some advice my own teacher gave me: write in First Person, or Third Person. Omniscient viewpoint has been out of style for maybe a century. Second person is best reserved for Choose Your Own Adventure books. First and Third person are the most common and easy-to-read viewpoints, and no editor will ever take you seriously if you wade into the publishing fray trying to sell anything else.

    ***************

    But Jim's advice I found very confusing because who wouldn't rather read what he has for the omniscient voice verses the other two? Granted a much more interesting first person might have been "I went to the store, though I should have known that the cookies were the instrument of the Grim Reaper. He had tried to get to me six times already that morning. If only I'd purchased milk to go with them, I might have made it. But I didn't, and so sealed my fate with sweet, corrupt chocolately goodness. But death does have it's benefits."

    But the point is that Omniscience is a powerful tool. I can understand why teachers might ask students to stay away; with such a big stick it's easy to accidently beat yourself over the head with it. But that's no reason to stay away. I don't think I'd mind if I could single-handedly bring it back into popularity.

    In this particular book, I think it's the best choice, if not only for it's authoritative power. But I'm still learning, so I'd be grateful for any other opinions one might have on the subject.


    ReplyDelete