Thursday, April 4, 2013

Falling in love with literature ...

Perhaps I'm as far from normal as one gets with respect to love of literature. It wasn't until I dove in head first and tried to understand everything about it that I gained my deep appreciation for writing. Perhaps it was because I never felt like I was any good at reading that I tended to stay away. I still read at a painfully slow rate, which becomes more frustrating as I discover so many more things that I would love to read.

I think that we're all scientists, adventurers, and explorers at heart. It’s so incredibly exciting finding new treasures that make your mind soar through the eternities or dive into the deepest abyss. It feels so strange to be finally waking up to the realization of all that is out there. It’s like I’m running around saying, “Why didn’t anyone tell me amazing this all is?” and you’re all like, “What? You didn’t know?”

As I was contemplating writing this blog, I came across this: Through the Mists of Time: Falling in love with literature. And I realize that now that I understand a little better and love so much more every aspect of sharing these amazing adventures with others that I have a much better appreciation for all of the mechanics of writing and how magical a word, a sentence, or a phrase can be.

But I don’t think that we need to look to schools to do a better job of teaching this, I think each of us as we discover the passion within ourselves can help pass that torch along. Hopefully I’m getting better at sharing this love and excitement with my kids.

1 comment:

  1. I approve this message!

    Seriously, though, yes -- I think that schools are not the place to learn a passion for words, or for books -- it has to come from a place inside you. I do think parents and older siblings and enthusiastic friends can lead you towards that passion, but ultimately, you have to choose to engage.

    ReplyDelete