Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Life is in the details.

A good friend of mine and excellent photographer has taken the challenge to take at least one picture every day. She’s done it for a couple of years now and has talked about some days it’s a challenge. It’s interesting the new perspective one gets by changing the angle, distance, lighting, dwell, etc.
For me writing is like that. Looking at people, the way look, dress, and interact, trying to understand how each sees at the world. Also trying to understand what level of detail in my writing will trigger a vivid image and how much is overkill or not enough is an exciting challenge. I think the generic term of “write tight” is supposed to capture all of that. It’s interesting to me how that while it might sound like it means “write less” actually in many cases means “write more.”
“Write tight” conveys the information that the reader doesn’t understand why what they read is important. If it really isn’t important, it definitely should be chopped. If it is important it should be tied together well. Unfortunately, knowing the art and balance of all of this is very tricky. Each person reading my story comes to it with such a wide variety of backgrounds that tying it to something that’s important to them is sometimes hard to understand.
I think making it personal is the key. I don’t think this necessarily means write in first person. What I think this means is, “get to know people!” I think a lot of writers are introverts. This is probably because we tend to look at the world a little differently. We may be a bit weird that way. So having people look at us awkwardly does make it tough get out there. But now having embraced my own individuality, and trying not to be too overbearing (or perhaps” overwhelming” is more accurate) it is incredibly fun getting to know people.
I’m so excited about all of the new friends I get to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment